In the path of totality

[Note: I wrote this on Monday when I was out of cell reception and unable to post]


This morning, there was in solar eclipse. I am in northwest Washington today, so I was not in the quote path of totality, or the path in which there would be a total solar eclipse.  As I was standing on the beach this morning, willing the universe to put an orca front of me, I kept coming back to this phrase. I don't know why, but something about it keeps nagging on me. I sat there, wondering maybe it means that I can't ask the universe to provide things for me, unless I put myself in the path to receive them.  This sounds pretty hokey, and it is.  I still don't know how I feel about whether the universe answers our calls.  I know that for a long time, I believed that God answered prayers, but then, at some point, I no longer did.  And who is this universe that I am talking about?  Is it some force?  Is it nature?  Is it just a veiled way of saying God?  Or, is putting your intentions out into the world, a harmless, but likely ineffective practice?

I thought more about this morning, when I didn't have eclipse viewing glasses.  I searched out wifi to try and make the pinhole projector, which worked, sort of, but wasn't very interesting.  And on my way back to my car, to see if I had binoculars to create a projection, I happened upon a couple who happened to have an extra pair of solar viewing glasses.  I sat there with the for about twenty minutes, watching the peak of the eclipse, wondering at what I was seeing.  It didn't occur to me how lucky I was to find this couple, with their extra glasses, until later.  I hadn't thought it was a big deal to see the eclipse, and hadn't really planned on making an attempt, but when I woke up this morning I knew I wanted to see it.  Life is funny like that, you plan and you think and you do research, but life doesn't always work out the way you wanted. Today, I got lucky, and it turned out better.

(I kept trying to take a picture through the glasses, or with my exposure way down, and none of them
seemingly turned out.  But when I was about to delete all twenty, I saw that most of them had that little
green crescent sun.I don't know if it's a shadow or a projection somehow, but it's pretty cool!)

Comments

Popular Posts