Cogito, ergo sum

Oh, man, I've been thinking a lot lately.   Not really coming to any conclusions, but thinking, deeply.  I finished reading (OK, listening to) The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks.  He posits that most of us are existing in our zone of competence or zone of excellence, rather than our zone of genius.  To find our zone of genius, we need to ask ourselves about what our inherent talents are, and what we could do all day long and have it never feel like work.  I'm working through what that means for me, but I know it relates to connecting people and coming up with unique solutions across disciplines.  I highly recommend the book, but here's a little quiz to whet your appetite: https://www.inc.com/laura-garnett/are-you-operating-in-your-zone-of-genius.html

I also read (actually read!) We're Never Reading in Real Life by Samantha Irby, which was sad and funny and made me steadfast in my decision to never get a cat.  I'm also listening to Girl Wash Your Face on Hoopla (are you familiar with Hoopla?  I love it!  You can rent books, music and videos from your library, on your phone!  The only bummer is that when I really need audiobooks, like on rural road trips, the service cuts out as it's app-based.)  I love her focus but it doesn't resonate with me fully because she's coming from a religious place/place of reference.  And her southern accident kills me a little (don't hate me!  I went to school in NC and it just is a whole other world...)   I keep trying to get into The Body Keeps Score and failing.  I know, know, know I need to take better care of my body but reading books to do that is f*cking exhausting.  Give me a novel any day, but reading a book about health is not my favorite.

I'd like to know what you've read that just CHANGED YOUR LIFE.  Especially if it comes from a secular spot.  (Have you read The Alchemist?  It's fiction but there's this part that says if someone looks familiar to you, but you can't place them, then the universe is telling you to interact with them.  I literally think of this every single time I see someone who "looks like" a friend.  It's weird!  And yet, such an interesting concept.)

Tell me...

Comments

Popular Posts